Saturday, June 4, 2016

Just installed xfce

One of the best things that come with Linux is its freedom. Ironically, one of the worst things that comes with Linux is also its freedom.

As you may know, we can choose our desktop environments when installing any Linux distro. With OpenSUSE, the default environments that you can choose from are GNOME and KDE. I have been using KDE since I started using Linux 6 months ago, and today, after a round of shitposting on /g/ (BAD idea), I go back to earth, realized KDE Plasma was super slow, and decided to try something new.

Side note: Desktop environments are these things that control, after you log into your account, how your windows and desktop look like, and what applications are used for what task. Think of it as denominations of Judaism. First we have the orthodox Jews who prefer terminal over anything, then comes Christians who have these fancy graphical interfaces and desktop environments, then it is divided among themselves into Catholics who use KDE, Evangelists who prefer GNOME, and so on. Then comes the third one in the trilogy, the Muslims who are proud of their Ubuntu installations, but in case the FOSS fighters find out, we're not talking about that.

Now back to my dear laptop. After installing Cinnamon, GNOME becomes unusable (Oops, fatal error, please fuck off, user), and one can't configure much with it anyway - the menu bars are so small but the navigation icons in their file managers are ridiculously big. Cinnamon is a mess.

Then I tried xfce. It's a simplified version of KDE, and it works. I feel much faster now, and the customization is bearable. I only hate it the first time I logged in, when a buzz destroyed my ears. Fuck the beep system, why does it have to be so high volume?

The xfce desktop is much better than its KDE counterpart. I think I can stick to this from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment